Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Absolute Favorite Mac and Cheese



Alright, I get it. I'm a bad jew. But if it is any consolation I did not actually MAKE this today. I've made it a hundred of times in the past though. It is seriously the best macaroni and cheese in the world. It is different because it uses Fontina instead of Cheddar, and shells instead of elbows. Also, the breadcrumb talking is fantastic. I found this one Ezra Pound Cake and I use it all the time. Its extremely easy, and it feeds me for like 3-4 days. Or everyone I know for a lovely meal.

You'll need:
1 pound small shells
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus some for the topping)
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces (about 2 cups) Italian Fontina cheese
Salt
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (I've never actually tried with the nutmeg, as I live in a dorm and do not really feel like buying nutmeg for my dorm, let me know how that goes.)
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Preheat the oven to 350. The recipe doesnt actually say this anywhere, or any temperature for that matter. So I just made it up. It works nicely. Get out your handy dandy 9x13 pan too. 


Start off by cooking your shells, just a minute or two less than what the package recommends. Drain. 
While they are cooking, shred the Fontina. Cube the butter (the 5 tbs) and put it in the bowl you plan on mixing everything in. (So make sure its big enough for all your pasta!) Warm the cream in the microwave, cover it or just leave it in the microwave to keep it somewhat warm.
When the shells are done, toss them in the bowl that has the butter. Toss and stir or whatever tickles your fancy to coat the butter over the shells. Stir in the cream and the cheese and mix until its all covered evenly and the cheese starts being all yummy and melty and gooey. Season with your salt and nutmeg. 
Pour this into your greased 9x13 pan. 
Combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. I usually dont really measure this part out, I use whatever covers it well enough. Pour this combo over your pan of mac and cheese. Cover it well, the crunchyness is yummy! Dice some butter and sprinkle it over the top to add some brownness, and butteryness. 
Throw it all in the oven until its nice and bubbly, about 20 minutes. 


Enjoy! This dish also saves really well, so its great to make and take for lunch!


I'll take a picture next time I make it. 

1 comments:

Lissette said...

The YUMMIEST mac ever!

Post a Comment

 

Skyler's Creations Copyright © 2010 Designed by Justin Sookikian
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice