Thursday, March 18, 2010

Layer Yellow Cake


So clearly I like to bake, a lot. However, one feat I had never attempted until today was a simple layer cake. They are surprisingly easy. I've made something similar to a layer cake, but never a straight off the front of a cake mix box kind of cake. So today I decided too. It turned out a little dry, but I might have over cooked it.


I used a recipe I found on food gawker, my favorite website ever. This simple yellow cake was extremely easy and tasty, but as a said a little dry. But it was easy and used ingredients that almost any basic baker always has laying around the house, so that was nice. However, I cheated a little and used store-bought chocolate frosting. Oopsie. 


Yellow Cake: 



 2 3/4 cups cake flour 
 1 1/2 cups sugar
 3 3/4 tsp. baking powder
 3/4  tsp. salt 
 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature 
 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
 4 eggs, room temperature 
Preheat the oven to 350.
I used two round pans, feel free to use square, rectangular, cupcakes... whatever you please. Triangles maybe?
Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, or kitchen aid mixer bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and mix them into the flour mixture on low speed.  The mix should be lumpy. Add the milk and the vanilla extract.  Mix on medium for another minute.  Add the eggs one at a time and mixing in between each addition. Pour the batter into the cupcake pan or the two pans equally. Bake 15-20 minutes for cupcakes and about 30-35 minutes for the cakes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.  
Then take the cakes out of the pans, making sure they are completely cooled. Once again my lazy side prevails, and instead of flattening the tops, I stuck the domed side down in a plate so it didnt show. I frosted the top of that layer, stuck the other layer on, leaving the dome on top... and frosted the whole thing. Wha-la. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Skyler's Creations Copyright © 2010 Designed by Justin Sookikian
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice