Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Raspberry Lemon Bars




So lemon bars are sort of my claim to fame back home baking wise. They were the first thing I ever really baked on my own... And I used to bake them like almost every day. So I was really excited when I found this new twist on them. However, I was not as thrilled as I thought I'd be with the result, but everyone else seemed to like them. I guess that's because I was expecting lemon bars, and thats not really what they were. They were like tart raspberry bars. But they are still a nice summer tasting treat, just don't be expecting lemon bars with a hint of raspberry. 
So you'll need:
(crust)
9 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

(filling)
1 1/2 cups  sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup  fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
2/3 cup (65 g) unbleached, all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup (150 g) frozen raspberries, defrosted
1 tablespoon powdered sugar [I used a few more]



Now keep in mind that I live in a dorm. I do not have measuring cups. In fact, I haven't used a measuring cup in so long it is actually kind of sad. But those are the measurements off of the recipe I used, so I mean it is what it is. 


So start with your oven preheating to 350, as usual. You'll need an 8x8 pan, either greased, lined with parchment paper, or just chillen. 
Then you'll cream your butter and sugar with your electric mixer (another thing missing in my dorm)(I ended up just using my hands, it was actually quite an adventure.), then mix in your flour til its incorporated. Put your crust into your pan, put your pan into your oven, and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes.


Meanwhile, this would be a prime oppurtunity to start juicing those lemons if you have not already done so. If you have, hang out til the crust is done, then prepare your filling while it cools. This was a weird part of this recipe for me, as I'm used to recipes that call for pouring it over a hot crust, but I did what it told me to do. So to prepare mix sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest,  and flour in a large bowl. Pour raspberries into a sieve* and press through to extract all the pulp and juices. Whisk into lemon mixture and pour into crust. 


*Sieves, yet another thing I do not have hear in my dorm room. I attempted to use a very mini strainer I found for $2 at Albertsons, but it was just messy and frustrating, so I ended up just crushing my frozen raspberries and throwing them in. Maybe thats why these came out so weird...
Anyway, cook for about 30-35 minutes according to the recipe, though for me it took almost an hour and the filling in the middle still didn't pass the tooth pick test. Oh well... Cook until its done I suppose. Cool, top with your powdered sugar, cut, enjoy. 
I hope this works better for you than for me!
And yes, I know I should stop using my Iphone and start using my real camera. So sue me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Skyler's Creations Copyright © 2010 Designed by Justin Sookikian
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice